Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A is for Annoyed


It's no secret that i am not too keen on advice. I am not a good advice giver nor taker, and in fact there are few things in this world that annoy me more than an advice giver. I can count on one hand the number of people i value the opinion of and heed advice constructively from, that is Brendon, my parents, my brother, my grandparents, and my dear, sweet soul sister Katie. Case and point that i have exactly ONE person outside of my family that i handle advice from. ONE y'all, one! The ironic thing is though that in this culture everyone finds it so necessary to offer you advice on nearly everything in your life. From marriage, to wedding planning, to babies, how to raise your babies, living in the military community, deployment, and everything else under the sun that could possibly be going on in your life.

Here's the deal, i don't handle it well. I am mature enough to endure the grueling agony of listening to someone offer their wisdom, respectfully and without actually executing my plan to punch them in the face, like the scenario that is playing on repeat in my head. I conquer that battle no less than 25 times a day and i consider that a small victory.

My issue with advice lies in that it is merely nothing short of an opinion. It is your opinion, based from experience, on any given topic. But the catch is that we don't wear the same shoes. The circumstances surrounding you and your experiences, leading to forming said opinion on specific topic are 100% different than mine, and i feel i can say that with complete confidence. There are no two situations in your and my life the same, involving the same people, and having the same set of circumstances. It's just cold fact.Therefore i feel your basis for forming said opinion and any advice that can be offered merely applies to only your situation or case.

Now it is hard to say that and still say that i do seek and heed the advice of a select few people and not seem as if i am being a hypocrite here. Let me clear the air that i choose to value the advice and the opinions of a few select people for the simple fact that they correlate very closely with my life. They know the very intimate details of almost every aspect of my life either because they see me live it or they live the circumstances right there with me. I value their advice because they understand my unique set of circumstances, and form opinions and advice based off of the things in my life, instead of feeding me advice based off of experiences from theirs. Make sense? No? Okay cool, don't sweat it. It's just my crazy talking and later this week i am going to bring you all a post on "How Crazy My Crazy Has Gotten". It shall be a good time. Don't look forward to it, it'll be crazy! ;)

2 comments:

  1. If you posted this to your Facebook then I bet people would leave you alone. Wait, was that giving advice? Crap. I take it back. Pretend I wasn't even here. Lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the opposite, I LOVE advice. I don't always follow it, but I love hearing different opinions based on different life experiences. Ps. The above comment is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete