Friday, November 7, 2014

It's the thought that counts right?

Phew! I vowed when i created this new blog that i would take better care of it than i did my previous. I would post more and keep things current. It's the thought that counts though, right? 

So i have a valid excuse.....i've been off in San Diego, CA with my guy. Can i get an AMEN on that one! Long overdue to say the least. Per usual military life the entire trip got flip flopped, rearranged, and turned around backwards. I was scheduled to fly in on Friday, October 31st and stay until Thursday, November 6. On Saturday the 1st of November, we were supposed to go to the Marine Corps Ball. I spent the weeks before leaving running my credit card up buying "necessary trip purchases", buying a dress for the ball, and all around being a nervous wreck because......forks y'all forks! The fancy table settings i was hearing about had me stressing. I'm not crazy. 

Since i didn't get to wear it to the actual ball, please let me just show it off regardless. 

Well the day before i am scheduled to fly to California for all this madness with Brendon, he gets word that the Corps is sending him to Texas for the weekend. HA! I love this life, i swear i do! So i casually throw a pity party for a solid 24 hours, cry to any and everyone who will listen to me, and pack a suitcase. Whatever, i'm going to Cali!

Friday rolls around and i am up at 445am to finish packing my bags. I had to work at the office for the morning due to a kids promotion we had rolling for Halloween day. I like to torture myself obviously, poor planning. At 430pm i walk out of my office and hop in my ride to the airport. Here we go, i got my crazy pills to calm my nerves for my flight, everything is packed, and i am prepared to escape through TSA straight to a bar stool with my name on it before my board time. Ready, set, lets go. Haha nope.....the story gets better. We pull up to the airport and unload my bags, my very HEAVY bags (but under 50lbs! way to go me!). I proceed to curbside check out only to find out that my flight from Richmond to my connection in Chicago has been cancelled. Seriously y'all all i could do was laugh at this point. The entire trip had been a joke thus far. They ever so graciously moved my flight to Saturday morning, to connect in Texas (ironic ha!) and then hop over to San Diego later that afternoon. Cool. It was all working out and i was at peace. Number one, i wouldn't be flying into a strange city at midnight, ALONE. This made Brendon and my family and friends all very ecstatic for my safety. Two its not like i was in a rush to get to Cali anyways, because lawd knows the good ol' Corps had sent my love away. Such is life. 

Saturday i boarded my plane to Texas and made my connection in Dallas to San Diego, sans problemos. Smooth sailing. I was rested, less irritable (Brendon appreciated this), and relaxed (thanks to my good friend Coors). I landed in San Diego and hopped in a taxi to my hotel around 530pm (PST). 



I spent the night being so excited to see my guy on Sunday and bored out of my mind. I unpacked my suitcase into drawers....if that's not bored i don't what is. 100% confident i was in bed by 830. LOL. Brendon called somewhere in the middle of the night after landing his night flight, but i don't remember a thing. 

Sunday i was up at the crack of dawn and by that i mean 6am, because my body was still on Virginia time (9am). Showered, hair blow dried, and dressed by 8am. Ha! Then i went back to bed for a while to rest before Brendon got in. So excited even typing this! He also got off of a bird, headed straight to the grocery store and bought me roses before coming to the hotel.



Once he got in we ventured out to La Jolla beach to catch the sunset. Holy breathtaking beauty. Lawd knows i'm a southern girl, but man alive did that left coast beach ever have the most beautiful sunset i've seen! Then we took in a few beers at Calihan's and called it a night. 

Never been so excited to watch a man shine boots in all my life.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we spent as much time as we possibly could together. He had to work/fly still which was okay with me. I hung out at the hotel room and snuggled up with Netflix. I ventured out each night solo, thanks to the hotels free shuttle, and it was a disaster both nights. 



Let's just say California is different, beautiful nonetheless, but surely not this southerners shot of jack. You know that feeling when you walk in somewhere and you clearly don't fit in, you know it and everyone else knows it. Yes, that, that feeling sums it all up. The people dress different, talk different, and life moves a whole lot faster. I was in sensory overload the entire time. I found a Chik Fil A, that thank the good Lord had sweet tea. Hallelujah, praise Jesus, ya girl was dying for some sweet tea. Lets just note the fact too that sweet tea on the left coast still fails in comparison to our southern style, SWEET tea. Yes. 

The trip in and of itself, while nothing went as planned, was still fantastic. I had some much needed down time to relax and literally do nothing. We got to spend some long overdue time together. And California is simply easy on the eyes. Oh and it was in the 80's all week, i mean, i don't hate that! 

Getting on a plane Thursday afternoon to come home was hands down the single most horrible and hardest thing i have ever done thus far in my life. Brendon dropped me off at the airport and then immediately rushed back to the squadron to fly. I checked in, went through TSA, and waited for my flight for the most grueling hour of my life. I sobbed in the middle of San Diego International many times y'all. Lets highlight the fact that i wore eyeliner and mascara (idiot) that day too. Hot mess express headed straight for Virginia, all aboard. I numerous times contemplated turning around and walking back out of that airport. Set aside that i have a career and family back home to get to, i didn't (and still don't) care. Once i stepped aboard that 757 my world got rocked, because it was real, too real. No turning back now. No saying forget this, in the name of love, and running back out through TSA to stay in San Diego. After 7 hours of travel and a 3 hour time zone change difference, i landed in Richmond at midnight. Those planes and airports held a lot of tears that day. I broke down crying randomly the entire way. 

Until next time San Diego, until next time.....

You want to see heartbreak? You want to feel heartbreak? Leave the better half of your heart on the complete opposite coast from you. Live your life through scattered skype chats, 3am phones calls, and a handful of texts a day. This life is tough, its brutal, and its heartbreaking. Saying see ya later never gets easier. At the end of the day, the prize-my guy, is worth every second of the miserable journey. 


I've been home for a solid 15 hours, 5 of which were spent sleeping, and the rest have been spent at my office working. I am jet lagged beyond belief and so incredibly sad, Here's to hopping in bed soon with a glass of wine and some Orange is the New Black, catching up on rest and jet lag. Cheers to taking things one day at a time and getting stronger by the second. 



No comments:

Post a Comment